Welcome

Discussion forums > General Discussion > New York Rock Ensemble You are not logged in. Login or Register.

1 2

New York Rock Ensemble

Author: Topic: New York Rock Ensemble
 stevemulcahy

Posted: May 01, 2007 4:26:15 pm    
Profile homepage email stevemulcahy

Thanks for answering my questions Dorian.

I guess I'd liken the difference between Ars Nova and the NYRE to be something like the relationship between Blood, Sweat, and Tears and Chicago in their early days. I once read something to the effect that B, S, and T were a jazz group playing rock while Chicago was a rock band that played jazz. In a somewhat similar way, Ars Nova was a classical/Renaissance band playing rock, while the NYRE was a rock band that did Renaissance and classical music. I like some of Ars Nova's stuff and there was an excellent cover of their "Fields of People" track by a great British band called The Move.

I first became aware of the NYRE through Lenny Kravitz cover of "Fields of Joy." I knew it was a cover but didn't recognize the name until a guy that I knew lent me a Columbia records sampler with the original on it. I think the cover is ok, but I prefer the original. From there I got "Roll Over/ Freedomburger" and the first two albums.

The thing about that era is that there were so many great groups that the average fan in America isn't aware of. I wasn't born until around the time "Roll Over" came out, but in addition to the NYRE, a lot of great groups kind of got lost in the shuffle. It must have been an exciting experimental/ underground scene in NY in those days with the NYRE, Silver Apples, Ars Nova,V.U.,Autosalvage, Exuma, Gandalf, etc..and with so many great rock bands elsewhere like Earth Opera, The Move, Moby Grape, Family, Spooky Tooth, Spirit, etc. Bands that perhaps don't get a lot of attention anymore but were great. It was a time when both popular music and underground music were both great. Wish I'd been around then,in a musical sense.

Thanks for all of the great music.

- Edited by stevemulcahy on: May 02, 2007 12:55:21 pm

Dorian

Posted: Sep 18, 2007 11:21:53 pm    
Profile homepage email Dorian

Hi everyone. Just a note to let all friends and fans of Michael and of the New York Rock & Roll Ensemble know that a new site will be opened early next year devoted to the band and everyone, everything connected with it. It will be a continuation of what had its start here. I'll keep you posted about the site as it develops.

Best to everyone. Dorian

kenDuBois

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 8:45:34 pm    
Profile homepage email kenDuBois

Dorian
thankyou for this! I have been toying with doing something but i knew it would be anemic at best. I look forward to seeing this and hearing more about it. Can you divulge if any to the other surviving members are involved or will contribute to the site? The Radio Lora interview was great but left me wanting more. No matter what it will be great!
thanks again

ken

falsesmall

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 3:43:43 pm    
Profile homepage email falsesmall

I'm hoping your memory banks are greater than mine. Does anyone remember the NYRE playing a summer evening show at the bandshell in Forest Park Queens? Also, was anyone at the lunch time concert at Trinity Church in lower Manhattan? Thanks.

Dorian

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:12:57 pm    

Hi Falsesmall,

Would it be almost pathetic to say "I was present at both"? As for specifics, well... ?

The Forest Park gig... I remember taking the E train from Jamaica where I lived, dragging my wife and daughter along, and enjoying the day tremendously. Even now I can remember the crowds...vaguely of course...and how it was great fun to play "locally".

Is it possible that the tennis championships were on at the same time as well...??

The Ensemble played in the Trinity several times, and later Michael also played there at least 2 times as a solo with "New York Rock" after the Ensemble folded. I was with Mike's solo trip almost to the end--in fact my last gig with Mike was the first Trinity concert in late spring, early summer--but I understand he played there later one more time. If that's the one you saw, then someone else will have to join you with those memories. I don't know exactly when Mike stopped his solo trip, but I'm sure it was not long after that summer's end.

Hope you get some other answers. All best. Dorian

Dorian

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 5:56:29 pm    

As at the moment the only present voice of the NYR&RE I join everyone in remembering our beloved Michael and his family.

Time does not change anything. We miss you as much today as we did 4 years ago.

Confound it! The dream of playing with you again does not stop...

Dorian et al

- Edited by Dorian on: Nov 19, 2007 11:32:19 pm

Nada

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 11:55:42 pm    
Profile homepage email Nada

Hi
I'm a cellist from NY. I found 'Romantic Fantasy' by A. Rudnytsky ....but pages 3 through 6 are missing.It seems like a good piece, dark and quirky, and I'd love to get my hands on the remainder of the score. (It's out of print and the library has 2 copies---with pages 3 through 6 omitted!)
So I'm hoping to get in touch with Dorian R. in regards to this music that I'm hoping he might have!
Thanks
N. Radulovich-nradulovich@gmail.com

charliem90

Posted: Jun 03, 2010 9:47:21 pm    
Profile homepage email charliem90

Came across this forum while doing a search for NYRE. Just thought I'd add a note (if the thread is still read..)

First I heard of NYRE was sitting at home watching the Bernstein Young Peoples Concert one Sunday afternoon. I think the program theme was "Transmogrified Bach" (or something like that). NYRE appeared at towards end and I was awed and immediately had to have vinyl! This was in '68 or '69.
Next saw them live at University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) at a concert there in spring(?) of 1971. Still ranks as one of the best concerts I've seen.
Saw them a couple years after that in Atlanta at the Southeast Music Hall. Another great performance.
Then (many) years later was in a theater watching "What Dreams May Come" and kept wracking my brain - What is that song? I know this. What is it? - until I finally recognized/remembered it.

Always had an interest in Michael K's career since I knew of him being a NYRE member.

Still have the vinyl (along with CD's) of NYRE that I take down from the shelf and play regularly. Going on 40 years now and it's some of the music from that era that I still listen to. And suspect I'll still be enjoy listening to it for another 40 (with any luck).

Dorian

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 11:30:53 pm    

Thanks, Charliem90. Yes, the site is still being viewed and used, even if not very often. I'm thrilled and happy you still like our albums...honestly, so do I! That's why we made them, ultimately...
All best to you. Dorian

meryncadell

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 11:02:05 pm    
Profile homepage email meryncadell

Hello,

I'm glad to see the post two above me here, and its reply - so I know this thread is still followed and read.

I've been singing "Kite Song" all day, which led me, today, to do an internet search. That led me here. I'm not sure what made me search, as I sing songs from Faithful Friends ALL the time. Just wanted to say thank you for that, to Dorian in particular, since you are the one involved in this discussion.

I'm lucky enough to make my living as a writer and songwriter (and sometimes performer and recording artist). Music has always been central to my existence and sense of self, and some of my love is rooted in the many albums I'd draw off the shelf while perusing my parents' record collection. Faithful Friends was one of them, and like many other LPs, I eventually 'stole' it (I think to think of it as "transitioning its collection location...).

I have it still, and play it sometimes... and it plays in my head *very* often. In 1986 I made a cassette copy of the album and took it around with me on my Walkman (I remember them when they were exciting! And heavy.). At that time, I was sort of obsessed with all things 60s, so sampled a lot from my parents' collection, but few have stuck with me as much as NYRRE. I find it hard to get my head around the fact that as a person just out of my teens, I felt like I'd found a treasure "from a long time ago", and yet more time has elapsed between then and now than had elapsed between the album's release and my discovery of it. (That seems impossible. Time! Who can fathom it?)

I have no question, I just wanted to let you know how much that album has meant to me, and how glad I am that I found it/ it found its way to me.

1 2